Seriusli, I hate the Indian for being soo talented. And the Slumdog Millionaire was a very very stupidly honest and spectacular movie. Yang pada pendapat ku, tak kurang hebatnya berbanding movie-movie Yasmin Ahmad. (Ada certain bit yg this movie is better than that of Yasmin's, for example it uses a mixture of musical elements yg menjadikkan cerita ini tidak bosan).
p.s. and likewise, ada jugak parts in yasmin's movie outshine this movie. And kena ingat, although Slumdog Millionaire is a much bigger budgeted movie, and Yasmin was somehow able to convey the same degree of honesty and same level of entertainment to her targetted audience.
Movie ni, kalo korang harap nk tgk cerita bollywood, dengan tarian dan nyanyian, lupakan je laa. This is not a typical bollywood movie. In fact, it's a British production, hence you can see lots of differences, though similarities pun banyak jer...
Jamal Malik, an 18 year-old orphan from the slums of Mumbai, who is just one question away from winning a staggering 20 million rupees on India's ‘‘Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?’ Arrested on suspicion of cheating, he tells the police the incredible story of his life on the streets, and of the girl he loved and lost. But what is a kid with no interest in money doing on the show? And how is it he knows all the answers?
Slumdog Millionaire jugak, dah mengajar aku. Yang kemiskinan tidak selalunya menjadikan seseorang itu daif, and living in a slum doesn't strip a person from his right to being happy.
now, time for my quick review.
- Walaupun ini movie British yg berbahasa Inggeris, para pelakon menggunakan English yg ber-accentkan India. Though this makes some parts (and perhaps all songs) arguably not understandable, I think this is what made the movie genuine and very natural. Sebab, aku expect to see Indian when aku tonton Indian Movie, takkan plak nk tengok orang putih celop dalam movie India kan...?
- Movie ni, storyline dia mantap. Teknik penceritaan lain dari yg lain. The story can be divided into 3 timelines - kisah silam, kisah semalam, dan kisah hari ini. Dan kisah silam Jamal was told in a flashback manner, which was further subdivided into 3 sections. Time dia kecik (5-8 tahun), time alam sekolah menengah (11-15 tahun), and time sekarang (16-18 tahun). Walaupun dgr sangat komplikated, tapi truth is, cerita ni tak membuatkan kepala aku biol. Sekurang-kurangnya, tak de la sepening filem susuk lakonan Ida Nerina haritu. Itu memang, ultimate giler berselirat jalan cerita.
- Para pelakon, walaupun hebat-hebat. Yang paling aku suka, adalah time the trio (Jamal, Salim - his brother, and Lalita - his childhood sweetheart) as 3 very young kids (time umur 6-10 tahun). Aku rasa, the movie was the most honest then. Sebab kalau dah namanya budak tu, lakonan mereka would either be disastrous ataupun sangat real. And the trio are easily classified as the latter.
- Watak utama, Jamal (lakonan Dev Patel) looks quite convincing. Serius, masa tgk movie ni. Tak terpikir pun yg Dev Patel was born and bred in London. And his accent was considerably thick. Sebab, dalam movie ni, he sounded just like all other actors. English with Indian Accent. I wonder how much research did this guy do to temporarily shed his British Accent off.
- Slumdog Millionaire betul2 tunjuk the life in a slum in India. Extreme poverty, Child begging syndicate, Muslim-Hindu fight, Theft in Taj Mahal, etc were all exposed and well presented. At the very least, babak-babak ini sangan educational terutama untuk orang yang mahu travel ke India macam kitorang. he he he. selingan sket.
- Songs were sang by Indian Singers, but in English language. The melody suits the scenes pretty well, but I was having difficulties trying to decipher what the singer sang. Sebab selain accent yg sangat pekat, the songs have a very fast tempo.
- nothing else that I can think of as for now.
Akhir skali, the verdict. 9 out of 10. A must see film indeed!
p.s. Lead actress sedikit sebanyak kelihatan seperti Jaclyn Victor. Maybe itu perasaan aku je kot.
p.p.s. This movie, requires 3 characters to be portrayed by 9 different actors. How's that! and rotten tomatoes gave it a stunningly 94%. Take that too!!!
Sometimes, it's these little things that moved a person a BIG time. Muchas Gracias Zamri!
By doing this, he strengthens our friendship. Thanks God, for giving me a good set of friends. And Zamri's definitely one of 'em.
Last time, while in Turkey. We got the chance to go and see the Whirling Dervishes, dance of the sufi. Yup, seblom pergi, I've wrote about this dance. and seriously, was enchanting!
I was captivated by the hymn/song and the ritual itself. Erm, tetiba terfikir plak, I don't think that dance itself is an appropriate word, sebab it wasn't actually a dance. It was a ritual, as how the turkish describe it.
this is a quote from wikipedia, which pretty much sums this ritual up.
The whirling dance or sufi whirling that is proverbially associated with dervishes, is the practice of the Mevlevi Order in Turkey, and is just one of the physical methods used to try to reach religious ecstasy (majdhb, fana). The name "Mevlevi" comes from the Persian poet, Rumi, whose shrine is in Turkey and who was a Dervish himself.This practice, though not intended as entertainment, has become a tourist attraction in Turkey.The ritual ada some quranic recitation as well as nasyid (hymn), which in my humblest oppinion at par with the christian church choir yg sedap didengari. The voices mix up well, and they perfected each other vocal range. Ada gak solo part, which literally gave me goose bumps!
Best best dan best!!!!
And sesapa yg intend to melawat turkey, this is a must see activity. Otherwise, baik korang simpan je duit tu dalam bank. Macam, rugi giler kalo pergi turkey, tapi x tengok. Like zamri said, turkey trip is not complete unless hammam is experienced, and whirling dervishes is seen.
The dervishes are getting ready before they began
and from what I observed, while dancing mereka akan menutup mata (but not throughout the entire ritual), probably untuk reduce tahap kepeningang dan ke-berpinaran kepala otak. And yeah, they did sweat, but very minimally. Mungkin that was the peluh dingin, rather than peluh 'penat'.
And here's a bit of what we say. The Dance!
p.s. just so you know, dervishes was derived from "Darvesh", literally means door to door, i.e.
p.p.s. for those planning to go to turkey/Istanbul and are planning to see this. We went to the sirkeci (pronounced sir-kay-ji) train station, for 30 New Turkish Lyra (around 15 euro). Some restaurants advertised yg diorang ada this show live, tapi i think most of them are bluffing to attract customers. For a cheaper alternative, this ritual are sometimes combined with other turkish folkdances (including belly dancing), but my friend said that it wouldn't be as nice because everything will be so short and packed. But hey, it's 30 NTL and you get to see more. Se the choice is entirely up to you really.
He snogged my jeans. OK I know i xmandi sehari tapi jeansku itu tidak la sebusuk mana yeah...His teary eyes say "Adopt me, i'm hungry" i think laaa.
He's so cute. It's either He plays with the little cat or doing cat hunting.
poor you. who put u into the cement? tell me tell me. im gona kick hiss ass. meow!
tekun join the tour guide. he surely the clever breed
Maybe he's thinking why he was born a cat not a statue
Here's the last cat(s) in this post.
Byk gila kucing kat Ephesus they're like guarding the broken columns and all the Hellenistic statues. These two cats pon dah pose ala2 statue. senyap jeee duk diam2
Me: eh hanjeng komenlah sikit?
Hanjeng: The Wickedest Wicked Witch of Oz turns my nose pink like a piggy.
Good news she's dead now!
Still occupying the ancient pigeon holes milik nenek moyang mereka dulu dulu duluuuu
Ok, binatang ini busuk gila. lebih busuksss sssss dari stokin saya semasa travelling.Duk mengunyah2 hapa benda hentah tak tahu tapi mulut penuh buih.Hampir terkena scarf ku.
California--Dressed as Santa, Bruce Jeffrey Pardo walked up to his ex-in-laws' home in Covina, California, on Christmas Eve and knocked on the door.
An 8-year-old girl, elated to see Santa, ran toward the door.
Pardo, 45, with a gun in one hand and a wrapped present in the other, began shooting indiscriminately, police said at a news conference Thursday.
He sprayed the living room with bullets.
In the trip, we met some Australians, a handful of Americans, 3 English, and Lots of Asians. and to me, quite frankly, the Asians are the most interesting. Apart from those from Malaysia and Singapore, the Asians that we met were the oriental Asian (and japanese). Whom mostly, speak little English. It was challenging yet interesting to converse with them.
With Robert - An English who decided to leave England because he doesn't quite like the country.
at the Hostel, we met this Japanese Lady (hostel employee), whom didn't speak English at all. But she was sooo Kawaiii (cute), personality wise - she's probably in her 50 - but she speaks like the hyped young Japanese Teenagers. The kind that you'd see in many J-Drama. ki ki ki ^_^
as well as this dude. Probably a born-rich dude. You can basically tell by looking at his Bvlgari necklace and the fact that he's not working but still manage to travel for about 4 months straight. Similarly, he doesn't speak English - but super Zamri managed to save the day. He put his Japanese class on a good use last time. *wink wink*
Korean Dude A and Korean Dude B
Yup, I think it's time for a new layout for the blog.
A more personal touch, so that tak de la tetiba nnti, kalau blog hopping. Ternampak sedara kembar blog ni plak.
Zamri likes the old layout so much, and I feel bad sebab menukar layout dgn tetiba.
Sorry Zamri! I'll cook you something later kayh...?
I've been working on this new layout for about a month now. Kenapa lama sangat??
Sebab I had zero knowledge on photoshop. Tapi usaha tangga kejayaan.
I've watched numerous youtube photoshop tutorial, and read some articles,
and finally boleh la sket-sket kalo nk pakai photoshop...
the blogger layout???
Digunapakai dari wordpress template, yg diubahsuai jadi blogger template.
nama dia, "WP Premium"
korang boleh tgk live demo kat sini
header picture tu pun, telah di pinjam dari blogskin.com.
live demo kat sini
and finally, dialog dalam bubbles tu, was inspired by my friend's (Atin) photoshop artwork. And sebagai tribute buat beliau, ni nak kasi dia femes sket. Dia ni, memang perangai sgt cute. wakakak. Sorry Atin~